Hi there! On this page you can find my current ROW80 Goals.
The answer to: What is ROW80?
A Link to the ROW80 Blog.
And…a link to my ROW80 Sponsor Page. I know, frightening, I’m a ROW Sponsor!
The current round goes from July 2 to September 22. If you love a challenge and enjoy making new friends of some of the coolest supportive writers out there then ROW80 (#ROW80 on Twitter) is the place to be. You can join in any time!
Gene’s Round 3 2012 ROW80 Goals
1) A Layered Goal for Writing. By “layered” I mean that I’m setting this goal at “minimum”, “desired”, and “woohoo awesome” tiers. My belief is that this will both allow me flexibility when life is being rude to my schedule and give me some pep when I’m able to achieve the top tier.
- Minimum: 2 Hours a Day for at least 500 words an hour. At least 1000 words.
- Desired: 3.5 Hours a Day for at least 750 words an hour. At least 2625 words.
- Woohoo Awesome!: 5 Hours a Day for at least 1000 words an hour. At least 5k words.
Yep, you got it, doing both hours and word count because experience has taught me they work better in combination. And yes, I know the top tier is a push, but that is exactly what I feel it should be, so, wish me luck *smile* By the way, the top one is also the norm for FastDraft (more on that in #7).
2) An open goal – Reading. I will read 10 books during this round and post reviews of them on Goodreads and Amazon (or other outlet) when available. They may be craft. They may be fiction. They may be about bird migration patterns in Australia. As long as there are ten of them by the end, it’s all good.
3) A Breakdown Goal – Blog Transition. During this round I’ll be transitioning my blog from WordPress.com to WordPress.org. So, by “breakdown”, I mean that this goal will be split apart into smaller ones and presented on a week by week basis until the whole thing is complete. This is an elephant, I’m not going to try to eat it in one massive bite.
- Step One: Re-read and take notes on Melinda VanLone’s posts on site transitioning from Marcy Kennedy’s site in preparation AND look into site purchase items for WP.org. by next Sunday.
4) A fun goal – Social Media expansions. I added in a Pinterest account over the ROW break although I don’t have any boards yet (my wife is endeavoring to teach me cause she is a total Pinterest wiz) but I would love to connect with all of you. Drop me your Pinterest info in the comments and we’ll ROWPin together (I’m GeneLempp, on there). The goal for this one: Have at least 10 boards that support my platform or personal expression by the end of the round.
Also on this one, setting up an author homepage on Goodreads and catching up on the few dozen book reviews I need to post there – by the end of the round. I’m also sitting on a half dozen group invites on Goodreads and I need to take action on these and get connected into at least two or three groups.
5) A Career Breakdown Goal – E-book formatting. During this round I’ll learn what I can and cannot do as far as e-book formatting with Scrivener and familiarize myself with Calibre and Sigil software. Have an hints, tricks, site resources, etc., drop them in the comments, I could use the help.
- Step one – Explore the e-book information on Kait Nolan’s site AND do a test run with Scrivener to gain an understanding of its functionality for formatting. Love the alliteration in this goal *smile*
6) Classes – The Knowledge is Power goal. I’ll be taking at least a dozen web classes through WANA International during this round (by the way, I’m an instructor and currently designing my classes). Most of these are a few hours each and they are spread apart so it shouldn’t become overwhelming. If it does, well, then I’ll adjust. First class is on the 9th.
7) The Ultimate Goal – Publish a Novella. Yep, I am going to write, edit and (hope of hopes) have my first novella up by the end of this round. This is a breakdown goal.
- Step one – Plot the novella (started and needs to be finished by July 6th) and take Candace Haven’s FastDraft and Revision Hell course starting July 7. Obviously, this will blend in with a few of the other goals and really they are all directed at this final one.
Good luck on your goals, Gene!
Thanks Catie, and same to you. Will be a fun time 🙂
How did I not comment on this ROWbro? I realized when I saw your comment on my post this morning that I didn’t see your initial post. Hummm??? I wonder if I just missed it, as I’m subscribed. Anyway, you know I think this is good, since we talked about it so much. Good luck Gene.
Thanks ROWbro! Doing great so far.
I know you will be a great sponsor Gene, you were so supportive during Round 3. Looking forward to your updates (especially regarding NaNo).
Hey, Gene…I decided to be a sponsor this round too. I just love ROW. Thanks for all the support you offered last time.
I considered participating in NNWM, but I think I’m too busy this year…maybe next. All the best to you. I look forward to seeing snippets. Any ideas in mind?
I’ve heard good things about Kristen Lamb’s course. One of these days…Learn lots!
As a personal trainer, I’m thrilled you’ve included your goal of walking three times per week. I just may add an exercise goal to my next check-in. That way I’ll have fellow writers holding me accountable. Good idea. And congrats on the weight loss. Way to go!
Since you did so well at encouraging other writers during Round 3, I’m sure you’ll do great as a sponsor.
All the best…and here we go!
Sounds like very sensible goals. I will find it hard to resist not taking part in Nanowrimo if there are too many in ROW80 taking part.
Would like to see how you write and edit your Nanowrimo project.
Nicole: Thanks and I’m looking forward to your updates as well. Great to have quite a few of us in NaNo. It’s more fun when we have a super support group 🙂
Stephanie: Great to see you as a sponsor! NaNo will be a tight one on schedule for me as well but I’ve wanted to do it for the last six years and decided it was time to take the plunge. Kristen is always fabulous and I have no doubt that her class will be an awesome experience. Thanks for the support, day one back on the treadmill is today. Looking forward to a good sweat. 🙂
Gerhi: Well, this month, I’m outlining for NaNo (have between 5800-6500 words in the outline so far) and am making great progress. The storyline and characters are coming to together better than any I’ve done in the past which gives me hope. Still plenty of time to join in but prep time is shrinking by the day.
Hey, Gene, it’s good to see you here again. Good luck with all of your goals!
I’ve been a sponsor since the beginning of ROW80, and it’s been so much fun. I love to encourage people! 🙂
Wow, you’re going to be quite busy. Your goals sound great. Good luck! I look forwad to your sponsor posts. 🙂
Aww, I feel like one of the few RoWers without a workout goal amidst their other goals right now; maybe that should change…..Does the fact that I’m moving up to a second floor apartment with a lot of stairs to go up every day count? ; )
Good luck with your sponsoring duties! I considered doing that, too, but with NaNo coming up, I might wait until I’m more confident in the next round to take that on. I’ve no idea what I’ll be doing for NaNo, but there’s still time to figure it out.
Look forward to keeping up with you again, Gene! Hooray, Round 4!!
Welcome back and best of luck for the round esp nanowrimo.
Good luck, Gene! Sounds like some great goals. I’d like to take KL’s blogging course one of these days too. 🙂
Great goals! Good luck with the NaNoWriMo prep!
Great goals! Good luck with them! I look forward to getting to know you during round 4 🙂
Good luck with your goals this round. I’m sure you’ll do well. Have fun sponsoring. I had a blast doing it the last round. I decided not to do nano this year, but hearing about every one gearing up for it, makes me want to do it again.
Oh, I’m so happy to hear that you’ll be a sponsor this round! You’re always so fantastic with feedback and support. 😀
Just added you to my ‘writing buddies’ on the NaNo site. I’m super excited to gear up for November.
I may have to consider that course the next time it comes around. Great goals, and congrats on the weight loss! I look forward to your sponsor posts.
Hi everyone! I’m locked in mortal battle with my NaNo outline and my oldest’s volleyball game is looming on the horizon. Thanks so much for all the cool and kind words. I’m really looking forward to this Round of ROW80 and hope that I turn out to be a good sponsor (okay on that so far). By the way, for anyone that wants to buddy with me for NaNoWriMo, I’m on there as GeneLempp (one word just like my Twitter name).
See you for tomorrows update 🙂
Kristen’s workshop is awesome. Good luck with your goals.
Good luck on your goals and good luck on NaNo.
-From a fellow NaNite. 🙂
Pingback: WRITING HERO: Gene Lempp | Writers Helping Writers