Hi everyone! Just sticking with the update today so I get more time to visit and handle my goals. For a full list of my goals click on the ROW80 tab up on the header.
1) The Layered Writing Goal. Monday through Friday I worked on the plot line, characters and story world for my novella in preparation for FastDraft. That went well, including one sprint with #teamsprinty that was very useful. FastDraft started yesterday and I wrote 5021 words/4 scenes/20 pages. I also discovered that what I thought was a paranormal sci-fi story is actually a paranormal mystery, who knew. Anyway, I’m totally going with and loving it. I woke up early this morning, 3 A.M. with the story bouncing around in my skull so set to work. When I stopped a couple hours later I had written 5069 words/4 more scenes and another 20 pages. So, I would have to say that this goal, and FastDraft are working well for me – two “Woohoo Awesome!” days to prove it.
2) Reading: Didn’t do much of this during the week. I’m working my way through Alexandra Sokoloff’s Writing Love, which is excellent and I’m hoping to press through it over the coming week. This will be a busy one though so we’ll see how it works out.
3) Blog Transition: I was supposed to read through Melinda VanLone’s notes and research blog and hosting options – yeah, didn’t happen. It is on today’s plate though which shouldn’t be an issue since I cleared writing off my plate early.
4) Social Media: I did a bit of work on my GoodReads page but it is far from what I want. At least it’s started and I have Kait’s note from her site to guide me, which are wonderful by the way. As for Pinterest, that is another of those things I’ll be doing this afternoon. Thanks to all of you that connected with me there and by the end of the day I should have a couple of boards to look at. My wife was giving me pointers last night that should help out. By the way, I’m still looking to connect on Pinterest and GoodReads so if you are on either or both let me know.
5) Indie Career Goal. I did look over Kait’s site and am now reading through Lindsay Buroker’s and Joel Friedlander’s info on indie publishing, formatting, etc. I didn’t get a chance to test out the Scrivener formatting options, but I did get a software update that is supposed to fix a bug in how Scrivener formats e-pubs. Not in a huge hurry on this one since I have a bit of time yet.
6) Classes. First class is on the 9th with Marcy Kennedy and Lisa Hall-Wilson on Loglines. On the 10th I’m going into Naperville with the wife to see James Rollins on his book tour. On the 11th I’m taking a class by Shirley Jump on Brainmapping and then on the 14th a class by Donna Newton on Characters. So, by next week I should have a ton to talk about on this one. For now, just waiting for the fun *smile*
7) The Novella. Well, thanks to Candace Haven’s FastDraft, I’m 10,o9o words in and closing on the first plot point, which will happen early in tomorrow’s writing session. I’m enjoying the story and looking forward to getting past the setup and into the fun parts. Hopefully in a few months I’ll be able to share the story with all of you.
Hope your weeks were good ones and I look forward to visiting with as many of you as I can throughout the day. Be sure to get out there and encourage your fellow ROWers.
Stay strong and…