Hi everyone! Woot a new round of ROW and a golden opportunity to seize your dreams by the horns and say, “Hey Mister, let’s get something done!” This is the start of my second year in ROW and I’m trying out a couple of new approaches to goal setting based on my experiences. Life is one long experiment and you’ll get a front row (pun intended) seat to watch one of mine.
Here we go…
1) A Layered Goal for Writing. By “layered” I mean that I’m setting this goal at “minimum”, “desired”, and “woohoo awesome” tiers. My belief is that this will both allow me flexibility when life is being rude to my schedule and give me some pep when I’m able to achieve the top tier.
- Minimum: 2 Hours a Day for at least 500 words an hour. At least 1000 words.
- Desired: 3.5 Hours a Day for at least 750 words an hour. At least 2625 words.
- Woohoo Awesome!: 5 Hours a Day for at least 1000 words an hour. At least 5k words.
Yep, you got it, doing both hours and word count because experience has taught me they work better in combination. And yes, I know the top tier is a push, but that is exactly what I feel it should be, so, wish me luck *smile* By the way, the top one is also the norm for FastDraft (more on that in #7).
2) An open goal – Reading. I will read 10 books during this round and post reviews of them on Goodreads and Amazon (or other outlet) when available. They may be craft. They may be fiction. They may be about bird migration patterns in Australia. As long as there are ten of them by the end, it’s all good.
3) A Breakdown Goal – Blog Transition. During this round I’ll be transitioning my blog from WordPress.com to WordPress.org. So, by “breakdown”, I mean that this goal will be split apart into smaller ones and presented on a week by week basis until the whole thing is complete. This is an elephant, I’m not going to try to eat it in one massive bite.
- Step One: Re-read and take notes on Melinda VanLone’s posts on site transitioning from Marcy Kennedy’s site in preparation AND look into site purchase items for WP.org. by next Sunday.
4) A fun goal – Social Media expansions. I added in a Pinterest account over the ROW break although I don’t have any boards yet (my wife is endeavoring to teach me cause she is a total Pinterest wiz) but I would love to connect with all of you. Drop me your Pinterest info in the comments and we’ll ROWPin together (I’m GeneLempp, on there). The goal for this one: Have at least 10 boards that support my platform or personal expression by the end of the round.
Also on this one, setting up an author homepage on Goodreads and catching up on the few dozen book reviews I need to post there – by the end of the round. I’m also sitting on a half dozen group invites on Goodreads and I need to take action on these and get connected into at least two or three groups.
5) A Career Breakdown Goal – E-book formatting. During this round I’ll learn what I can and cannot do as far as e-book formatting with Scrivener and familiarize myself with Calibre and Sigil software. Have an hints, tricks, site resources, etc., drop them in the comments, I could use the help.
- Step one – Explore the e-book information on Kait Nolan’s site AND do a test run with Scrivener to gain an understanding of its functionality for formatting. Love the alliteration in this goal *smile*
6) Classes – The Knowledge is Power goal. I’ll be taking at least a dozen web classes through WANA International during this round (by the way, I’m an instructor and currently designing my classes). Most of these are a few hours each and they are spread apart so it shouldn’t become overwhelming. If it does, well, then I’ll adjust. First class is on the 9th.
7) The Ultimate Goal – Publish a Novella. Yep, I am going to write, edit and (hope of hopes) have my first novella up by the end of this round. This is a breakdown goal.
- Step one – Plot the novella (started and needs to be finished by July 6th) and take Candace Haven’s FastDraft and Revision Hell course starting July 7. Obviously, this will blend in with a few of the other goals and really they are all directed at this final one.
Whew, okay. I think that’s enough for this round. Yes, I’ll be busy. Yes, I’ll probably go insane. Yes, I can really use your support. I’m the ROW sponsor for the #7’s this round. Be sure to get out there and support your fellow ROWers, there is strength in community. It’s a great day to ROW!
Pinterest. Goodreads. I’d love to connect with you on both if I haven’t already. Drop me a link, invite, smoke signal, etc.