Today is the next ROW80 update and I’m still moving along well, with one exception, but we’ll get to that in a minute. I’ve enjoyed participating in ROW80. It has turned out to be exactly what I needed to get things moving forward again and has opened a host of opportunities to me.
The thing that stands out is how powerful the urge is to ensure that my goals are made each week. Sometimes it is easy and I seem to breeze right through, other times it is as if I’m trying to call up the power of the universe to move a pebble.
What has helped the most is having a partner in the group. Kerry Meacham is my ROWbro. Having someone to bounce my goal ideas off of before ROW80 started allowed me to refine them and keep them realistic. Having a partner to talk with during the dark moments when I felt overwhelmed has been a great benefit.
I would encourage everyone to take the time to find a buddy that you can email, bounce ideas off of, and assist each other in staying faithful to the goals you each are aspiring to achieve. After all, we chose our goals because they are things that we know will advance our work and improve our lives. Isn’t it worth doing everything you can to protect your dreams.
Okay, on to the goals from this week.
- I was able to write on the novel-in-progress two of the last four days and am right on target. l added 533 words on Thursday and 1088 on Saturday for a weekly total of 3189. All good on the goal here and I am noticing increased concentration when I sit to write. I’d like to make this a daily event and am moving in that direction.
- I am also right on track with 750words (actually typing this on it right now) and am on a 14 day streak. I could take a day off but I find the consistency is more beneficial to me. The thing I had hoped to achieve with 750words was being able to type at the speed I think. 750 words challenges me to type at full speed while organizing my thoughts and I am seeing a definite increase as a result of using the system. Besides, when you go on a long streak they give you badges, lol! Yeah I know its silly, but hey whatever keeps you moving forward with things can’t be a bad thing.
- I finished Save the Cat on Thursday. This is a fantastic book and I recommend it to everyone. The screenwriting principles that Blake Snyder brings up equate well to novel writing. I’ll be doing a review and highlights post on the book at some point in the future.
- The treadmill is no longer killing me but then I stepped back off the Aerobic workouts that are designed for high school athletes and took one that in more in tune with a forty-year-old mans capabilities. I walked on Friday. I did not use the treadmill on Wednesday, but I was in Chicago at the Art Institute and logged about 5 miles including a dozen or more trips up and down a major staircase so I think that covers the Wednesday walk.
- Now to the point that has become an issue. The queued blogs are not going the way I had hoped. After speaking with Kerry about this he came up with a good suggestion and I think I am going to restate the goal. I simply want 15 queued posts together by the end of ROW80. That means two per week of any type, so long as they get done. From this point forward, I should have a new one to report with each update.
Well that’s all for this week. How has your week been? What challenges and victories have you experienced during your ROW80 travels?