Hi everyone! It was an interesting week, some successes, a few failures and a few excellent learning experiences. Overall, I’d say the week went well even if I’m feeling a bit stalled in a few areas, but that was expected for the first month.
For a full list of my goals click on the ROW80 tab up above.
Here’s how this week went.
1) Writing: I successfully completed the first half of Candace Haven’s FastDraft class and am now moving into Revision Hell. The notes I took over the past two weeks are telling me that I have a great deal of work to do on this story, including what may be a full rewrite, which isn’t really a problem since I now have FastDraft in my collection of writing tools. Alongside of FastDraft, I’ve been working on a special project, studying a major dramatic series (TV) from a few years ago and a collection of movies. This is an approach I learned from reading Alexandra Sokoloff’s Writing Love. The insights are helping me pin down key aspects of the story while gaining a clear view of some things that looked cool at first glance but now I can see are extraneous.
2) I’m about halfway through Writing Love, mainly due to the above project. My plan is to work through the book, not just read it. In the past, I’ve done this as a double read through, but am experimenting with combining the two and finding good results. One fail point on this goal, I still haven’t gotten any reviews up on Goodreads but then I didn’t have a great deal of free time either. Thinking this part will see better progress once I’m through the class.
3) Blog Transition: No movement on this one this week, simply a matter of time and I’m not worried. Pieces are in place and just waiting for a couple weeks for when I have a bit more time available.
4) Social Media: Yeah, there hasn’t been a great deal of this as I’ve been focused on the writing. This one should see a pick up in August once the learning stage of FastDraft is past.
5) Ebook formatting: Also on hold until August although I am lining up a strong list of resources and material that will streamline the learning process on this one once I engage it.
6) The Novella: As I mentioned above, the first draft is complete but I know some major changes are coming for it. My plan is to do a reverse outline from the FirstDraft, which is standard for me – yep, we all have a bit different writing process – and then rewrite from that. I took fairly good notes over the last two weeks and already have part of this done.
That’s all for me this week. Be sure to get out and support your fellow ROWers.